Tuesday 1 January 2013

Hurry up and wait!!!


You must be nervous? Do you think your ready? Aren't you scared? Why would someone do this? 

These are the most frequent questions as the day for my departure creeps closer, for which the answers are pretty simple... Well YES, of course I'm a little anxious, mostly because cycling across the African Continent is no walk in the park. However I'm not really scared, as I see this trip as a journey of a lifetime and I think I'm actually very lucky to have this opportunity available to me. Africa has such a rawness about it, because even with all the suffering, their is still something truly magical about the continent filled with potential. I think the darkest thing about Africa has always been our ignorance of it. So in the end if anything, I am extremely excited about studying the length of Africa at the speed of cycling and I plan to document every step of the way. It is going to be a long hard road, my greatest physical challenge, a true test of my character and I JUST CANNOT WAIT FOR IT TO BEGIN... 





As far as being ready is concerned, I can confidently say YES, if I could I would leave for Cairo tomorrow. It's about a week before I depart, and I believe I have reached the hurry-up and wait stage... The past two months of preparation and organization has been nothing short of chaotic, but a fun experience. I feel like the luckiest girl, because all actually fell into place without too much effort... My sponsors have been incredible, the Cycle Lab providing me with the ever so important bicycle and he is a "BEAUTY", Cape Storm cycling clothing is of the best quality and I couldn't ask for anything better, Herbalife as my natural healthy fuel has helped build-up my strength, while Fotacs has kindly helped with sponsoring me good quality MINOX equipment to document my experiences, namely I have received the Minox DC 1422 Digital Camera and the very useful ACX 100 HD Action Cam...  

I have met many wonderful people and the overwhelming support is duly noted, as every single word of encouragement has been a tremendous motivator for me and I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart... 

My Herbalife 24 Endurance Sports Range

Tony Fornali and I at the Fotacs warehouse collecting Minox equipment... Christmas came early for me...

The amazing Vanguard brand providing me with a handy backpack

A big thank you to my cousin Kim for introducing me to the wonderful Alison Lea, who has kindly become my nutritional sponsor. 

This process has exposed me to completely unfamiliar territories, and I'm just so incredibly pleased I took that scary plunge into the unknown, because as I reflect over the past few weeks, I know all the difficult decisions and choice I had to make have been absolutely SPOT ON CORRECT, as endless opportunity begins to find me... Three months ago, if you had told any of my family and friends "That on the 8th January 2013, Tessa will be departing for Cairo on a one-way flight and then cycle home..." Each and everyone would think you got rocks in your head... Even for me to think back to when I was still working in the Super Yacht Industry, there is no way I would have through that my 2013 would kick off with a cross-continental cycle challenge of 12000 km through Africa.

Lastly, "Why would someone do this?" Well my answer to this question is purely, "Why wouldn't someone do this?"

Life is just too GOD DAMN short to procrastinate and linger on the someday, one-day and next time's... I could bore you for ages with stories of life changing experiences and hopefully inspire others to make the changes in their lives, but what it actually boils down to in the end is asking yourself the right question... I asked myself the simple question: "What if money didn't matter?" Watch this bellow it sums it up nicely...


No comments:

Post a Comment